15 June 2016
Southern Hemisphere is recruiting an intern
Southern Hemisphere is guided by a desire for social participation and democratic leadership in the design, implementation and evaluation of development projects. In this regard, we ensure that capacity is built and transferred to the people we work with and in this way we hope to facilitate sustainable and pragmatic solutions. With a commitment to skills development and social responsibility, Southern Hemisphere welcomes and encourages MA students – who share our vision of creating a better world – to participate in our internship programme.
Where will an internship with Southern Hemisphere take you?
An internship with Southern Hemisphere is an opportunity for students to be exposed to working in a consulting environment in the Social Development sector. With an office based in Cape Town, this internship combines the experience of professional and personal development. Due to the diversity of our work, staff and experience, an internship with Southern Hemisphere will allow the successful to:
- Be a part of the transformation and development process in Africa and globally;
- Make a real and tangible contribution to uplifting people’s lives;
- Develop a better, practical understanding of what it means to be grappling with development in the developing world context;
- Be involved in every facet of a small business’s operation;
- Be a part of a small but dynamic, committed, focused and fun-loving team;
- Integrate theory and practice, and develop one’s practical research skills;
To qualify for an internship with Southern Hemisphere, one must meet the following requirements:
- Have completed an MA programme in Social Sciences, Economics, Politics or Research Psychology (Note: at least the coursework component should be complete – interns could finish a thesis while working with us)
- Must be innovative, organised and flexible
- Must be able to work independently
- Must have a research background (subjects in qualitative and/or quantitative Research Methodology)
Note: International students are required to make arrangements for their visa application; however, Southern Hemisphere provides support where needed.
The internship programme is offered over one year period. We are now recruiting for the period 1 July 2016 – 30 June 2017. Interns are expected to work 30 hours a week and are free to choose their own work schedule.
Interns will be paid a monthly stipend of R5000 for the period of the internship.
How to apply
Please email us your CV together with a letter of motivation by 15 June 2016 highlighting:
- Your reasons for choosing Southern Hemisphere for your internship
- Your understanding of what we do as an organisation
- How you foresee us assisting you during your internship
- What you want to achieve during the internship
- The skills that you wish to develop / enhance
- The skills that you will be able to contribute to Southern Hemisphere
- A brief description of yourself as a person Southern Hemisphere is an equal opportunity employer and will not unfairly discriminate against anyone for any reason, within the context of affirmative action legislation in South Africa.
Please contact our Admin Supervisor: email@example.com
For further information, visit our website on www.southernhemisphere.co.za