What is Mentoring?
By mid-April each year, every grade 12 learner is assigned a mentor. The two meet for at least two hours per month throughout the year, and work together to:
- Identify the post-school opportunities most suited to the learner’s interests, skills, capacity, subjects and academic achievement
- Identify bursary and scholarship opportunities for which the learners are eligible, and relate to their chosen field of study
- Ensure that learners apply to the relevant courses, institutions, learnerships and/or employment opportunities well before the deadline dates
- Ensure that application forms are accurately and comprehensively completed, and have all the requisite supporting documentation
- Provide general support and work with the branch coordinator to do referrals for any psycho-social, health or family environment challenges that learners may be facing